NIH Pain Consortium: Grant Mechanism Webinar Series

The webinars will occur on the 2nd Thursday of the month 3:00-4:15pm ET. 

The goal of the series is to inform the pain research community of funding opportunities and other resources provided by the NIH.


Title Date
Clinical Mentoring Grants April 8, 2021
Pre-Clinical and Translational Grants May 13, 2021
Early Career Grants June 10, 2021
Institutional Training Grants July 8, 2021
ESI, NI, and Established Investigators August 12, 2021
Technology Development/ Therapeutic Development September 9. 2021
Clinical Phased Mechanisms October 14, 2021
NIH Staff roles in the process and high-level overview of before and after grant submission December 9, 2021
Preparing/writing the application/submitting the grant January 13, 2022
How to build a budget February 10, 2022


View previous Webinars:

April 8, 2021 - Clinical Mentoring Grants


Question and Answer Summary: April 8, 2021, Webinar 1: Clinical Mentoring Grants


Q: Which Institutes participate in the K24 award program?
A: Information about participating Institutes and their specific requirements can be found here:


Q: Must I apply for a K01 grant within a certain timeframe after completing my terminal degree?
A: Generally, the timeframe is less important than whether you have an independent grant, which would disqualify you for a K01 award. Check with the Program Officer at the Institute or Center where you submit your application.

Q: I was previously funded by a K23 award. Am I eligible for a K24 award?
A: Yes, some K24-funded investigators were previously funded by a K23 award, but it is not a requirement. The K24 award is intended for investigators who wish to mentor clinician scientists.

Q: I was previously funded by an institutional K12 award. Am I still eligible for a K01 award?
A: Typically, you can be funded by an early career development award for a total of five years across the K12 and K01. Your K01 application should explain your need for additional mentoring time after completing the K12.

Q: Can I apply for a K23 grant while in residency?
A: You can submit your application during residency, but your clinical training must be complete before you begin work under the career development award.

Q: I’m a post-doc. Am I eligible for a K award?
A: Typically, you must hold a full-time faculty position and receive a letter of support from your institution to receive a K award. You can apply for a K award during your post-doc, but for most Institutes and Centers, you cannot receive an award until you have completed your post-doc. However, the K99R00 is intended for post-docs.

Q: I completed my residency or post-doc in the United States but am originally from and was otherwise trained in another country. Am I eligible for a K23 or K24 award?
A: You must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident to be eligible for a K23 or K24 award. Check the specific Funding Opportunity Announcement to confirm that you meet the residency or citizenship requirements.


Q: How many publications make me competitive for a K01 award?
A: This answer depends on the field and specific Institute or Center to which you will submit your application. Speak with the Program Officer about the typical number of publications for K01 applicants at their Institute or Center.

Q: How many first author publications should I have to make me competitive for a K award?
A: This varies by field of research, but most K01/K23 applicants have some first author publications.

Q: Does NIH plan to prioritize pain researchers under career development mechanisms?
A: This answer is very dependent on the specific Institute and Center to which you will submit your application. There is no NIH-wide prioritization for pain researchers.

Q: How much funding must I have to be competitive for a K24 award?
A: This answer depends on the specific Institute or Center, but you must be able to show that you have the funding necessary to conduct research and mentor future clinician scientists. Some Institutes and Centers require applicants to hold an R01 or comparable award.

Q: I earned a PhD in an indirectly related field that normally does not perform clinical trials. Could I still successfully apply for a K01 award (clinical trial required)?
A: The reviewers generally favor multidisciplinary teams with relevant expertise, so teams may include intervention specialists, biostatisticians, epidemiologists, and more. A large interdisciplinary team may compensate for less than sufficient relevant expertise. Speak with the Program Officer at the Institute or Center to which you will submit your application to determine the range of fields of funded researchers doing clinical trials.

Q: Will NIH fund K awards from midcareer investigators who want to learn new research skills to expand their line of research?
A: The focus of the K24 award is on the applicant mentoring the next generation of clinician scientists. Some Institute or Centers may use the K01 award to expand research to a new field, but most do not. Speak with the Program Officer at the Institute or Center to which you will submit your application.


Q: I want to work with a new mentor to gain training and skills in a new area, but we don’t have a prior collaboration or relationship. How should we present that information?
A: A mix of mentors with whom you have and have not worked is often helpful. The letter of support from the new mentor should be especially strong and clearly describe how you will work together. If you have served on committees together or worked together on other activities, that information should also be mentioned. Speak with the Program Officer at the specific Institute or Center to which you will submit your application.

Q: I recently completed my PhD, and my dissertation chair retired. How can I identify new mentors?
A: We recommend that you start with other faculty members in your department, your PhD advisory committee, your collaborators, and anyone involved with a CTSA program or mentoring group if your institution has one. Good candidates are people with a good funding record and with whom you might want to work.


Q: Once I receive a K01 award, which other funding mechanisms can I apply for?
A: You will be eligible for most awards except for another career development award or an earlier career award, such as a post-doc specific grant. You can speak with a Program Officer about other opportunities when you have your K01 award.

Q: Does NIH require or encourage that the candidate change institutions when transitioning from the K99 to R00 phase of the award?
A: Each Institute and Center has different answers to this question. Speak with the Program Officer for your K99 award.

HEAL Initiative

Q: Do NIH or the HEAL Initiative provide training or other resources to researchers develop skills in recruitment or retention strategies and patient engagement among diverse groups? I would like to include this information in my grant application.
A: The HEAL Initiative has held multiple webinars and workshops on recruitment and retention strategies in pain and opioid use disorder patient populations. They are or will be available on the HEAL Initiative’s website.

Q: Does the HEAL Initiative offer any specific programs for early-stage investigators?
A: No, not currently. The HEAL Initiative posts funding opportunities in a timely manner, so you should regularly check for Funding Opportunity Announcements.

Q: How can I learn which research projects have been funded by the HEAL Initiative?
A: Under “Funding” on the Initiative’s website, you can find details on every grant awarded. See here:


May 13, 2021 - Pre-Clinical and Translational Grants


Question and Answer Summary: May 13, 2021, Webinar 2: Pre-Clinical and Translational Grants


Q: What is the most useful general tip I should keep in mind?
A: Your mentors are successful in part because they have garnered communications and relationships with Program Officers over years. Always contact Program Officers and build those relationships.

F series

Q: Should only first-author publications be included in the biosketch for an F series application?
A: No. Your biosketch can include publications for which you are a contributing author or first author.

Q: How important is it to provide preliminary data in the approach section for a predoctoral application?
A: Expectations for preliminary data are lower for predoctoral applications than for postdoctoral applications, and preliminary data are never required for a fellowship application. In general, preliminary data are used strategically to support the feasibility of a novel technique or a concept that is not widely available in the literature. You may not know whether your reviewers want preliminary data until you receive a summary statement requesting those data. Reviewers want to learn about your approach to the science so the Research Strategy section—which is limited to six pages—should not be filled with preliminary data.

Q: I’m an MD/PhD student interested in studying basic pain mechanisms. Can I apply for an F series award from NINDS or NIDCR?
A: Neither NIDCR nor NINDS support the F30 dual degree individual fellowship, but an applicant could apply for an F31 award to support the PhD portion of their training. Different Institutes have different eligibility requirements, and you are welcome to contact Program Officers with an abstract and specific aims. Program Officers will direct you to the best fit.

Q: Should I use a specific format to respond to critiques on an F31 submission (e.g., a single page with bullet points describing edits made based on critiques)?
A: No, there is no specific format. Your response should be respectful and at most one page long. The types of critiques you receive will determine your approach to the response; for example, you might address varying concerns from a specific reviewer or critiques raised by all three reviewers. If you notice a poor score for a particular category, you should focus your response on that one. You are encouraged to write to the Program Officer to discuss the summary statement upon receiving it.

Q: I am a predoctoral candidate in the process of getting published. Should I state in my application that I have papers in the process of submission?
A: Yes. You cannot cite those papers unless they are available as preprints, but they should be mentioned in your personal statement, career development plan, or training plan.

Q: Is the F99/K00 meant to support an applicant in the same lab over the course of the pre- and postdoctoral training period? Is it possible to change laboratories during the transition?
A: It is both possible and strongly encouraged. In fact, most FOAs on the topic state that you must move to a new lab and often to a new institution. When applying, you do not need to identify a postdoctoral mentor, but you should plan a general research direction.

Q: Are the study sections for peer review the same for F awards as typical R01 awards?
A: No, they are not the same study sections.

Q: Are there any restrictions on the type of study I can propose for an F series award?
A: Yes. Freestanding clinical trials cannot be funded by an F series award. NICCH further prohibits any freestanding clinical study, so any applicant planning to work with human subjects needs to define that project within the context of a sponsor’s ongoing work or needs to be conducting secondary data analysis on a completed trial.

Q: Can I be considered for an F series award at more than one Institute?
A: You are strongly encouraged to use the optional assignment request form to identify your top choice and secondary choices for Institutes to review your work. However, CSR will make the final decision on where to send your application, and an Institute that believes an application is not a good fit will send it to secondary Institutes for consideration. In addition, you are strongly encouraged to speak with program staff before submission, because they might be able to direct you in the best direction.

Q: How should I choose the Institute to which I submit my application?
A: First, write your abstract identifying the gap in knowledge, what has been studied, and what you propose to do. Use the NIH Matchmaker ( for initial guidance on which Institute to apply to and under which mechanism. Then contact that Program Officer. You cannot know the current priority areas for a given Institute without asking, and it is in your best interest to speak with Program Officers before applying.  They can direct you to a better fit if the Matchmaker misdirects you.

Q: How should I approach research applications for diversity awards?
A: First, confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements described in the FOA. If you apply for an F31 Diversity award, your sponsoring institution will need to provide a “description of the candidate’s contribution to the program goals.”  Otherwise, most recommendations for other F series awards will apply to Diversity awards. Please refer to the table in this link for Institute-specific F31 Diversity application eligibility, requirements, and contacts:

Q: Can non-U.S. citizens apply for an F series award?
A: Most funding mechanisms are reserved for citizens, non-citizen U.S. nationals, or U.S. permanent residents. However, you can apply while permanent residency is pending if you are confident that you will receive your Green card within 1 year. Other mechanisms may have different eligibility requirements, and you are encouraged to check individual FOAs.


Q: When will last year’s LRP contract applicants know the status of their application?
A: Awardees will be notified starting at the end of July. If you pass the first round of selections, you will be asked to provide information about student loan debt. Please gather that information ahead of time to accelerate your response.

Q: Is the LRP available for postdoctoral researchers only or is it open to predoctoral students as well?
A: Individuals are eligible to apply for and receive the LRP award after receipt of their doctoral level degree is conferred. However, as an example, if you will graduate in December, you can still apply during the September to November cycle because awards are not finalized until July 1.

Q: I am a postdoc currently funded by a T32. Can I apply for an LRP?
A: Yes, you are eligible to apply for an LRP.

Q: Can I be considered for an LRP award at more than one Institute?
A: When you apply for an LRP, you can select primary and secondary Institutes that you would like to review your application. If the primary Institute initially identified by CSR determines that your proposed project does not align with its current priorities, it will send your application to the secondary Institutes.

Q: Can I renew for a second year of LRP if I am also awarded a career development/K award that same year?
A: Yes. The two are not interdependent, and you are expected to apply for other funding opportunities after receiving an LRP. Because the LRP will not provide resources or funding for your research or salary, you are allowed to use the same project to apply for each. Also, please mention that you were able to secure additional research funding in subsequent applications.


June 10, 2021 - Early Career Grants


Question and Answer Summary: June 10, 2021, Webinar 3: Early Career Grants

Early Stage Investigator Status

Q: If I am awarded a K99-R00 and complete the R00 stage, am I still considered an Early Stage Investigator (ESI) for future grant submissions (e.g., R01)?
A: Yes, you are still considered an ESI. The R00 does NOT remove that designation.

Q: Can I extend my ESI status due to COVID-19-caused research interruptions?
A: Yes. Be sure to describe the nature of the disruption to your research in your ESI extension request. We suggest that you submit the request once you know the amount of lost research time, unless your upcoming application deadline is imminent and an ESI extension is urgently needed. In that case, you would be able to submit another extension once you know the full extent of the time lost.

Q:  How is “early-stage development research” defined?
A: Research projects in early-stage development explore novel scientific topics or phenomena that are not well-known to the field. For example, such a project could study the unknown role of a biological process, signaling cascade, or neural circuit in contributing to a disease state (e.g., pain). Early-stage development research grant applications propose to test hypotheses that are typically based on experimental research findings found in the literature and have limited preliminary supporting data. Early-stage development research may establish new directions of research for the field; it is not research that adds incremental results to existing knowledge.

Q: What are the benefits of being an ESI?
A: When you apply for an R01 as an ESI, your application will be reviewed separately from R01 applications submitted by established investigators. The reviewers will consider your career status when deciding funding; for example, they will understand that you may have less preliminary data than a more established investigator.


Q: If I already completed a postdoctoral fellowship and secured a faculty position, can I apply for a K99/R00?
A: You must be under a mentored relationship, such as a postdoctoral fellowship, to be eligible to submit a K99/R00 application. Having a faculty position suggests that you are already an independent researcher, and the intent of the K99 program is to make researchers independent.

Q: Does the 4-year limit for K99 start after the PhD degree was granted or the official postdoctoral fellow position began?
A: This is Institute-specific, and we encourage you to speak with a Program Officer. For both NIDA and NCCIH, the eligibility period begins when the postdoctoral fellowship begins; in other words, if you defend your dissertation in May and begin your fellowship in August, NIDA and NCCIH will record the beginning of that 4-year period in August.

K01 and K02

Q: To be eligible for the K02, do I need to be funded by a certain NIH grant? What is the difference from K01?
A: To be eligible for a K02, you must have an ongoing independent research program and you must be a PI on an R01 or equivalent grant. The intent of the K02 is to enhance an existing R01 or equivalent research project by incorporating another technique or approach. The K01 award is intended for researchers obtaining additional mentoring or training to enhance their skill set, and you would devote the first 3 years to additional training and learning techniques while conducting research. At the end, you would apply for funding mechanisms such as R01s and R21s.

Q: Can I apply for a K02 as a co-PI with someone who does have an R01?
A: Applying as a co-PI with an R01-supported researcher is not recommended. The K02 is intended to support an independent research program. Applying with someone who holds an R01 may cause reviewers to ask whether you are enhancing your program or theirs. The existing support should be yours.

Q: Can I apply for a NINDS K01 as a non-tenure track Assistant Professor of Research?
A: No, the NINDS K01 requires either a tenure-track position or a position as a postdoctoral fellow. Please note that this requirement for tenure track varies across Institutes.

Q: Am I eligible for a K01 if I don’t have a postdoctoral appointment?
A: Both postdoctoral researchers and junior investigators are eligible for a K01 Career Development Award. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident with a research or clinical doctoral degree. In your application, you must justify your need for additional mentored training and professional development.


Q: What is considered a “clinical doctoral degree?” For example, do MDs, OTDs, and DPTs qualify?
A: MD is a clinical doctoral degree. We do not know of an official NIH list designating clinical doctorates. Please feel free to contact a Program Officer to ask whether you are eligible.

Q: Do I need to have an MD to apply for K08, or could I apply with a PhD?
A: With a PhD, you would apply for a K01 Mentored Career Development Award instead.

Q: Am I still eligible for the K08 if I have both a clinical doctorate AND a PhD?
A: Yes. You can have combined advanced degrees as long as one of them is a clinical doctorate.

Q: Am I eligible for a K08 if I am an occupational therapist with both a PhD and Master of Physical Therapy?
A: You need a clinical doctorate to be eligible for the K08, not a master’s degree. You must be an independent clinician and researcher.

Loan Repayment Programs

Q: When in my career can I apply for an LRP? Can I apply while completing my PhD?
A:  You can apply at any point in your career so long as you have sufficient debt. However, you will need to have obtained your doctorate before the expected LRP award start date. Please note that approximately 50% of applications result in an award. You can find more information on success rates on the LRP Dashboard.

Q: Does the LRP renewal pay an additional $100,000?
A: For LRP renewal awards, the repayment amount is equal to one-half of the remaining educational debt at the start date of the renewal award, up to $50,000 per year.

HEAL Initiative

Q: I heard that comparative effectiveness studies are a priority for the NIH Pain Consortium.  Are there specific announcements addressing this priority?
A: The HEAL initiative has issued a few comparative effectiveness Funding Opportunity Announcements.

Q: Are there any diversity initiatives within NINDS or HEAL for R-series grants?
A: Yes, there are diversity supplements you can apply to if you have a grant through HEAL. Notice number: NOT-NS-20-107

Q: Does HEAL fund any K01 grants?
A: No, HEAL does not fund any K01 grants.

High School Researchers

Q: Are there any grants I can apply for while earning a high school diploma or GED?
A: Grant mechanisms all begin at the predoctoral level. However, NIH Institutes want to encourage scientific engagement, so if you can find a PI with whom you want to complete a summer or winter research internship, they can receive funding to support your addition to their research program. NINDS provides some research opportunities for high school and undergraduate students, and NIH provides some summer research programs for high school students as well.


July 8, 2021 - Institutional Training Grants



Question and Answer Summary: July 8, 2021, Webinar 4: Institutional Training Grants


Q: How many Institutes support T32 grant mechanisms?
A: Nineteen NIH Institutes and Centers support T32 grants. Specific requirements for and details regarding T32s vary across different Institutes and Centers.

Q: How should I decide to which Institute or Center my institution should submit a T32 application?
A: To decide which Institute or Center would be the best fit for your application, first review the Funding Opportunity Announcements. You should determine which Institutes fund most of the faculty who will be involved in the program, because their research will likely support the mission of whichever Institute funds them, and your program will need to support the mission of the Institute. You should also contact the Program or Grant Officers of each Institute, who can direct you to the most appropriate Institute.

Q: What amount of funds is provided in a typical T32 award covering four training positions?
A: A formula determines how much funding a T32 grant recipient receives. However, this formula includes multiple factors, including an institution’s tuition cost, and therefore a single answer cannot be provided. Prior award quantities can be found at NIH RePORTER. Predoctoral students receive a stipend of approximately $25,000 under a T32, funding for travel ranges from $500 to $1,000, and tuition expenses are capped at $16,000 (as of July 8, 2021).

Q: What percentage of T32 applications to NINDS receive funding each cycle?
A: In any given year, NINDS funds between 35 and 50 percent of the T32 applications it receives. T32 applications are not as hypercompetitive as R01 applications; however, T32 applications are generally written by seasoned grant writers who are accomplished scientists with a long training background, so these applications are very high quality. Please contact Program Officers before you submit your application, because they can alert you to problems with the application. Further information can be found at NIH RePORTER.

Q: To be funded with a T32 grant, does my program need to be based in lab research?
A: Some programs funded by T32 grants are purely clinical. A program is eligible regardless of research type (e.g., clinical, laboratory, translational), though some individual Funding Opportunities may require specific research types.

Q: How many faculty members should I involve in a T32 program? Is there a minimum number I should include before applying?
A: There is no right answer to this question. However, 7-10 faculty members would be a relatively small number among funded programs, while a program with 50 faculty members and only 4 positions would seem imbalanced. If you can justify your plan, it may be funded.

Q: Can a T32 program be multi-institutional?
A: A T32 program can involve more than one educational institution, and some multi-institutional T32 programs have been funded. However, T32 programs are expected to develop a cohort of students, and that task is difficult when trainees are distributed across multiple institutions.

Q: Does NINDS give preference to pain-related T32 grant applications?
A: Applications are always funded based on quality and merit and not on program focus. However, NINDS is eager to find more pain-related institutional training programs. NINDS has funded three pain-focused programs through the T32 grant mechanism, of which two are ongoing. To be the next pain-focused T32-funded program, you will need to gather a group of faculty members committed to developing and supporting that program.

Q: How important are Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to T32 programs?
A: A major component of the T32 grant mechanism is increasing workforce diversity. Therefore, Institutes expect a diverse group of trainees, faculty members, and planned seminar speakers for these programs.


Workforce Diversity Grants

Q: How should I decide to which Institute or Center my institution should submit a workforce diversity grant application?
A: To decide which Institute or Center would be the best fit for your application, first review the Funding Opportunity Announcements. Your overall goals will need to support the mission of the Institute—if it does not, the application will not receive funding and may be rejected without review. You should also contact the Program or Grant Officers of each Institute, who can direct you to the most appropriate Institute.

Q: What percentage of workforce diversity grant applications receive funding each cycle?
A: Although exact odds of success are not available, information regarding past success rates are publicly available at NIH Data Book.


Other Institutional Training Grants

Q: What other Institutional Training Grants does NIH fund?
A: All Institutional Training Grant mechanisms are available on the NIH website.

Q: What is the difference between the T32 and T34 grant mechanism?
A: T34 grants fund undergraduate and postbaccalaureate students and are primarily funded by NIGMS, whereas T32 grants fund predoctoral students or postdoctoral fellows


August 12, 2021 - ESI, NI, and Established Investigators



Was this page helpful?
Form Approved OMB# 0925-0648 Exp. Date 06/2024